- 2015 - The Order: 1886 (Ready at Dawn - 15 months) PS4
Systems designer involved in the development and tuning of a wide array of systems, ranging from core player systems, weapons, and AI.
Eventually became engaged in all aspects of the game's combat, including writing, directing, and scripting combat dialogue;
working with level designers to revamp combat spaces across the entirety of the game; working with AI engineers to architect more
engaging AI behaviors while personally scripting robust AI functionality; working with animators and engineers to create "filmic"
combat behaviors and reactions; working with scripters to direct the behavior of AI during combat encounters; and, lastly, working
with gameplay and tools engineers to develop the systems and pipelines necessary for playing dialogue throughout gameplay sequences.
- 2013 - Double Action (Game Jam team of 3 at 2k Marin - 5 days) PC
Programmed a 4-player single-screen competitive multiplayer “spy vs. spy” game while participating
significantly in art development and design to deliver a polished and engaging experience with meaningful
gameplay depth: the project received a #1 vote from 5 out of 7 judges, and was requested to be released
publically/commercially by multiple coworkers so that they could enjoy the game at home.
- 2012 - The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (2k Marin - 20 months) PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Systems designer responsible for player weapons tuning and balance, camera, core controls and movement, cover
interaction, and control re-map systems. Provided extensive support for perks, campaign systems, level
scripting, and telemetry. Became the “go-to man” for prototypes and developing specialized one-off systems.
Coordinated with AI designer to develop combat design with a balance between weapons/enemies, and with various
other departments to achieve functional and aesthetic goals for varietal systems.
- 2011 – Unannounced Game Concept (Team Project for Client: Electronic Arts - 3 months) PC
Designed and implemented a gameplay prototype for a game concept from Electronic Arts while
participating in the exploration of new technologies.
- 2011 – Hearthstone (Game Design intern at Blizzard Entertainment - 3 months) PC
Designed and implemented a series of single-player missions, developed new features, participated in key design
decisions (including balance), and performed a holistic design-analysis. Eventually became responsible for
implementing and maintaining the entire prototype of the game.
Systems Desginer at Ready at Dawn, Dec 2013 - Present
- Rapidly adapted to new IP and environment to work effectively with nearly every department as we worked to complete The Order: 1886.
- Observed which areas of development needed the most assistance and stepped in to provide aid wherever possible.
Systems Desginer at 2k Marin, Jan 2012 - Oct 2013
- Began as an intern while completing graduate education.
- Promoted directly to full Systems Designer (Junior status was bypassed based on exemplary work).
- (Studio closed in October 2013; immediately saught and obtained employment at Ready at Dawn afterward)
Game Design Intern at Blizzard Entertainment, 2011 (3 months)
- Completed all work objectives as well as additional, self-motivated goals.
- Received mentor feedback review with prominent ratings of "Excellent."
South Coast Photographic, Anaheim CA, 2002-2009
- 2008 - Promoted to a Lead Photographer to manage groups of up to four photography crews.
- 2006 - Promoted from an ID Photographer to a Yearbook Photographer as the leader of a crew of two others.
Experience using UDK & Kismet; Game Maker; Microsoft Visio, Project, Visual Studio, and Office (with notable skill in Excel and PowerPoint); Eclipse; Violet UML; Autodesk 3ds Max; Adobe Photoshop, Flash, Premiere, Illustrator, and Audition.
Experience using Windows XP-10, Mac OSX, iOS4+ (iPhone/iPad), Wacom tablets, and all major consoles.
Carnegie Mellon University: Entertainment Technology Center
Fall 2010 to Spring 2012
- Master's of Entertainment Technology (MET)
University of California Irvine
Fall 2006 to Spring 2010
- Bachelor of Science, Informatics
- Minor, Digital Arts
Other Skills and Interests
- Passion for gaming across multiple platforms and genres.
- Devotion to developing games that has manifested in over a dozen personal projects over the past decade, starting with self-taught development in high school and culminating in a strong education and professional career.
- Avid tabletop roleplaying game player and miniatures gamer. Also enjoys collecting, building, and painting custom miniatures.
- Strong interest in storytelling that has resulted in frequent “GMing” for roleplaying games and writing the occasional short story or other creative-writing endeavor.
- Enjoys 2D and 3D art including 3D animation, pixel art, and traditional mediums.
- Video Game music aficionado with a taste for anime and movie soundtracks.
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) certified Advanced Open-Water Diver (in SCUBA diving).
- American Taekwondo Association (ATA) certified 2nd Degree Black-belt with training in the use of the Bahng Mahng Ee (sword) and Ssahng Jeol Bong (nun chucks).
- Several years of training in non-competitive horseback riding.
- Self-taught chef specializing in gourmet Japanese food, including shabu-shabu and sushi.
- Ten years of personal experience driving boats, ranging from small “dinghies” to a 42 foot trawler.
- Former competitive swimmer.
- Casual airsoft player.